Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Low income, high life



Awhile back I ranted a little about what seems to be a complete misconception of what the reality of being poor looks like. Since then, I've read a few other blogs and spoken to some awesome twitter friends about this issue and I've come to the conclusion that I need to write about what it really looks like to be a working-class low income family in America.

They may not perceive themselves as well to-do, but when other seemingly well meaning bloggers post pictures of their grand homes and espouse their weekly Whole Foods budget to me, I admittedly cringe a little. 
I mean, I once read a post written by a very well known blogger/advice columnist where she said that she bought her kids "throw-away" clothes at Old Navy and I thought to myself:

You are not like me, you will never get me.

And that's ok, I don't begrudge anyone a good life, but I have to wonder how people like me are supposed to relate to people who are not walking in my Thrift store shoes?
It's like we don't even live on the same planet, let alone within the same income bracket.

And that's what brings me to this post.
I'm ready to shed the shame of being broke in order to (hopefully) help & connect with other people that are in the same boat. I'm hoping that other families who are having to juggle finances will look at the coming posts and feel like it's possible to live a full life even when you don't think you can't afford to.

But let's get a couple things straight here:

First, this is NOT a pity-party. Second, this isn't an advice column.
This is just about how we manage living well, while living within our means.

And with that, tomorrow begins the first in the series of "Working Class Wednesday" posts.







4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great new series! Can't wait to read ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standing up and applauding! Having Twitter friends that are either so rich I would be in need of winning Publishers Clearing House to even come within the range of their life or those that live beyond means and so can not fathom those of us that live day to day, pay check to pay check and a new lip gloss is a splurge quite often, it is so often hard for me to relate or not feel as if I am less than and having to make excuses when really I should not have to. I look forward to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we have to budget for every. little. thing. But we are pretty darn good at it by now and we have cut so many unnecessary things out that we are able to do the things we really love to do without breaking our bank. Being poor is pretty damn freeing once you get your shit together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for a series. Dude I've been there. Standing in line for the free bag of groceries. But I never felt poor. Mostly because poor was a dirty word and we weren't dirty. People thinking they shop at old navy so they get it are irritating and infuriating. But you know you don't have to have be in a persons shoes to respect them and people seem to forget that basic fact. Being "poor" taught me respect. Respect for what I have.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you really think, but please be respectful about it.