Monday, November 15, 2010

Thursday Thrift Style

Remember this dress?
Brand new, tags still on, thrifted for $6.
I think my generation really has the whole thrift style thing down, but I've noticed that some people are often genuinely shocked to hear that something the kids or I are wearing came from someplace like the Goodwill.

Thrift stores are not what you think they are. Sure, there's some junk, but most of the places I frequent are well organised and full of barely used gems just waiting to be re-homed.
You really can't go wrong when it comes to kid's clothes or toys or even baby gear (not car seats, you need to buy those brand new). Kids outgrow their stuff so fast that even though it's used, it's probably only been worn for a few months.

When it comes to adult clothes, you don't want to fall into the Vintage trap and buy up everything you see & put it all on at once, only to end up looking like every day is Halloween and you're going as Billie Holiday or Jim Morrison (been there, laughed at myself afterwards.)
Instead, what I like to do is to utilize the Thrift Store to pick up unique individual items & incorporate them into my every day wardrobe, like this pretty floral cotton blouse I got for $1.99:

Mixed with some worn-in jeans and accessories I already had in my closet, like this turquoise necklace, marigold shoes & coordinating purse, it is a frugal and easy way to spruce up my basics. 









Thrift Style definitely doesn't have to stop with clothing. I've got tons of funky, cool household items that have come from thrift stores & even garage sales that I can't wait to show you.
I'm a stay at home mom of 4 and I fall into the leggings & t-shit trap a lot because I suffer from "mom guilt" and don't like to spend money on anything but my kids.
But, I know I deserve to feel good about the way I look and the way my home does, too.
And really, nobody should have to sacrifice their self-esteem just because of monetary concerns.
(and um, my kids would like it if I didn't look like I just rolled outa bed to pick them up)
If you think you don't have the money to dress a little nicer, or fix your house up so it feels more like a home- you're totally wrong, and I'm gonna prove it to you.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you really think, but please be respectful about it.