Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sneaky Pizza



What kid doesn't like pizza? I can't think of any.  Why not try making your own pizza from scratch instead of having those cardboard frozen kind that are filled with preservatives?
It's really easy to whip up a pizza dough.
There are only 5 ingredients*:
2 1/2 C Flour
1 C water
Packet of yeast
1/2 t salt
2 T olive oil
-Mix 1/2 the flour with the rest of your ingredients for 3 mins on medium speed
-Knead in the rest of the flour for about 5 minutes, then separate the dough into 2 halves, cover in your bowl & let rise for 10 minutes.
-After that, you just role it out to desired thickness, roll up the edges of your crust & poke the dough with a fork for ventilation.
-Bake in a 425 degree oven (top rack) for 8mins minutes then add whatever toppings you'd like & bake for another 8-10 mins.

For the sauce, try mixing some cooked spinach into your tomato base- it's LOADED with vitamins and is a powerhouse for calcium. The kids will not even notice, I swear!
I find that the kids are more likely to eat it without a second glance if they can't really SEE the veggies.
Since it takes kids about 10 tries of any new food before they will voluntarily eat it, I generally reserve telling them what's in the sauce until after they've raved about how good it is.
If you are lucky & have kids that love to eat veggies, throw some diced zucchini & carrots in the sauce.
I add a bit of garlic salt, onion powder, oregano & cumin to my sauce and voila! Better than store-bought.
Top with anything you like, but please for the love of Maude, forego the greasy meats.

I was able to whip up 2 pizzas using the recipe above in about 30mins from start to table.
My 2 yr old ate 4 mini pieces of pizza, so I'd say that's not too shabby!

Let me know if you make homemade pizza, I'd love to see how creative you get & what your personal touches are.

*this is the most very basic pizza recipe that anybody could make regardless of skill or experience

3 comments:

  1. That's a great picture of the dough. Love it.. that pizza looks so yummy. And yeah. We refuse to buy pizza 99% of the time! Once in a blue moon, we'll order out from the tiny local Italian place:) Mostly I make it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've shied away from making pizza, only because I don't yet own one of those pizza stone thingies...and of course, it's one of those things I always forget that I want to buy, until I want to make pizza RIGHTHISMINUTE! LOL...Did you use the stone thing, or just a cookie sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a pizza stone but it's not in my cupboard....Jude! He must have gotten rid of it. I used sheet pans and they turned out fine.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you really think, but please be respectful about it.